Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Hunan Donkeys AKA Hunan Barbarians?


Today our guide told us that if there is an army, it is not complete with out the Hunan barbarians and that they are known to be as stubborn as donkeys!

Because that is exactly what we need in our house, more barbarians!! :-) 

We appreciate so much your prayers and support, we FELT them today!

It was a good day. Syler had his normal afternoon slump but we are choosing to focus on the positive today.

This morning we went to the US consulate where we moved towards our children becoming US citizens. 

While this ceremony was a bit different than before, it was still moving to swear on their behalf and know that they are ALMOST citizens. (they will be as soon as they land on US soil)  As we repeated the vow and I looked down at Syler who had his little hand raised along with us I was so choked up. I know that he can’t even comprehend all that this ceremony meant, but he knew enough to realize it was a BIG deal.  We were in the room with many other families and together we all moved just a bit closer to home. Seeing SO many kids, SO loved, I wish we could take photos for you. But no camera’s allowed in the building.

Afterwards, per advice from a friend, we asked our guide to talk to Syler about some things over lunch. About life in a family, how this is just a vacation and not how it will be once home etc and so on. Hopefully some of it sunk in. I am a bit worried because he told him that in the US police would get him if he doesn’t wear a seat belt but I suppose that IS true. He sure did sit calmly in the car today!! J

I DO wish we had someone that lived close that spoke mandarin. Syler is quiet and doesn’t talk much, even to our guide. But it would sure be nice as the weeks go on for him to have someone to talk with. We did visit with the owner of our local Chinese buffet before we left who gave me her phone number and I think we will be using that. 

For lunch we ate at a place called Macau Street, near the hotel. The food was DELICOUS. (Chinese food, if you are coming) We had duck and it was ALL of the duck. Remember in A Christmas story.. “It’s staring at me?”  Well that duck stared at us through our meal, which might be why Malaine did not enjoy it. The rest of us LOVED it. Syler was most excited about the legs. Mercie ate more than I have seen yet.  (also great are the Eggplant, sliced potatoes,  steamed bread, fried rice) It was probably one of our favorite meals of the trip. (duck did not have bone and you wrapped it in the egg shells, YUM!)

Before we started to eat lunch today Syler prompted us to PRAY! We were so shocked and excited! It is those moments when your heart feels just a bit more settled and you know that it is going to be ok.  

Malaine and I took a taxi back over to the island to shop this afternoon.  Some of the same owners are there and I enjoyed chatting with them. Some of you might remember my shoe purchases back in 2006. Maybe a suitcase full?? That was not the case this trip. I was pretty bummed at how high things were and they just don’t budge on the price.  We did get Mercie 2 pairs of squeaky shoes, because you can’t come to China with out buying those! Though for child 7 I am sure the squeaker will be out of them MUCH quicker than with the other girls!

We got back to the room and Syler was mad over TV. But he perked up with a promise to swim! He LOVES the pool, as did Mercie! Face in the water? No problem!

After dinner we ate in the lounge. Tonight’s menu included panini’s, Japanese chicken (no idea but it was good) mini quiche, veggie pizza. Or in Mercie’s case she just chowed down on leftover duck.

We played on the playground after dinner and then came back to the room to start packing.

Mercie is changing SO much and I feel I have not had a chance to share on her progress so I am hoping to give her a post of her own.

Tomorrow we are free till we leave the hotel at 2:45pm. I am hopeful to get the kids pictures in silks. I am so sad to miss the red couch that we had at the White Swan but still have to have their photos taken.

Thank you again for the prayers and encouragement! Our spirits were so lifted today. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, that food! You have my mouth watering! Potatoes, eggplants, steamed bread, and rice? You know those are all my favorites! Praying you guys home!

    ReplyDelete