Thursday, April 3, 2014

The JOY of our BOY!





For many years Mark had made comments about adopting an older child someday. Of course my husband makes many comments about many things and you would think he would have learned by now that if you make a comment, you better mean it with me! J

So we have often talked about what an older child adoption might look like. And who can REALLY know that till they do it?

I know it is a bit easier for us than most. I had met Syler, I KNEW what a sweet spirit he had. But we still had questions. In reality I am only at the orphanage a week.  We didn’t really know his background. We know nothing of teaching an older child how to live life outside of an orphanage!

But we had no doubt God had said THIS is your son. And we knew that no matter what HE would answer our questions.

We traveled to the orphanage last Friday. They had our kids waiting outside for us. And when he saw us, he smiled. He walked right into my arms and into my heart forever.



The 2nd day we were there they said he had not slept the night before, he was so excited and so happy.

Like mother, like son!

When you adopt an older child it is so easy to think of all the things we have missed. I have no photos of him before he was 7. It is hard to imagine not knowing his life as a little boy.

But then you start to see life through his eyes NOW and start to count the firsts.  

The first night we gave him a bubble bath. He was so happy. He laughed and smiled. Brushing his teeth even had him smiling! Tucking him into bed, reading a story, saying prayers, he never stopped smiling! (and seriously I so wanted to take photos of his first bath but I knew that would just be ridiculous!!) 



We took him swimming and that is another first we will never forget. The pool here is HUGE! Swim caps required. AND swimsuits as we had to explain to him! J   He was a bit nervous at first, especially when his daddy let him go under water. (eek!) but it did not take him long and he is now putting his face in and just SO excited to be in that pool!




EATING! Whatever he wants!



PIZZA! We ordered in last night and when it was delivered he yelled PIZZA! (he told our guide he had never had it before!)

Seeing fish at the river, he was fascinated and I was so worried he was going to crawl in the river! Then today he got to feed KOI. A treasure for sure.



Riding a ride at the park today.



Climbing in our bed for early morning snuggles.

I have been reading to him from the Jesus Storybook bible every night as I put him to bed. He has no idea of course what I am saying. But he just watches me as I read and he listens. 

Folding his hands in prayer with us as we pray.

Picking out what clothes he will wear each day. The excitement over matching his daddy!



His first word is TICKLE. J And he LOVES wrestling with his daddy or being tickled!



He is smart and has some intense concentration. He built a set of lego’s today with out any help. Refusing help I should add.




He will willingly walk holding my hand and lets me hug & kiss all over him. I am anxious for the day he returns these because he wants too.

He really is an amazing kid.



Today we were at a park with our guide and another family. He asked for a toy and she told him no. His whole countenance fell. I did not know he asked, she told me she told him it was to expensive in the park for the toys.



Now, I am not saying that every time my kid asks for something we are going to get it for him. But… considering it has been 72 hours since gotcha and he asked for a $2 toy,  I would have happily bought it!

So he was withdrawn for a few hours, even after we DID buy a toy in another location. Thankfully it did not last long. 

I know that we are in honeymoon phase and that it might not always go this well with our sweet boy. 

But I do know that I am so thankful that God has allowed me to be his mommy and no matter what, he is mine. 



**Also wanted to give a quick update on Ms Mercie. We had GIGGLES today and I was the one to get them!!! Will post a video tomorrow but had to share and say thank you for praying! We are still working and it is up and down but SOO thankful for that glimpse of sweetness! 






2 comments:

  1. Tears of Joy for your Family and for Syler. Can't wait to see the adventure that awaits with Cora. Praying for her heart. Traveling soon. End of May beginning of June. I hope Mercie is doing better. My heart aches, for you and for her. She sounds sooooo much like our sweet Mia. It is hard but as the blossom it is beautiful to watch. Praying!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious. What a precious, precious boy. I am so glad he's YOUR son.
    And I can't wait to meet him next month!

    ReplyDelete