Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Friends across the miles


Tuesday was our last full day with Steve. I know I have mentioned a bit of backstory on him, but just in case you missed it. When I came to China on my mission trips we were always assigned a guide. First 2 times I had a woman who I became good friends with. The 3rd trip I was coming she was expecting twins! We were thrilled for her but nervous. The biggest part of my trips is relationships. To lose the one whom I had been working hard to build a relationship with AND who was helping me at the orphanage was a bit scary. THEN I found out we would have a male guide. For an all girls trip. Only 4 women at that. So I was not thrilled to say the least.

And then we met Steve and I discovered a few things. First, that I am sometimes wrong. Imagine that. J  He was exactly who we needed for the trips. A male guide adds a different personality to the team. He was a bit more aggressive in getting things done that I asked. His sense of humor was exactly what I needed when my emotions were running high. And he really just made our trip smooth. So I quickly made sure we would have him for the July trip. We kept in contact once home and he was so helpful to me with keeping that relationship growing at the orphanage.

July trip he was there and again I feel was exactly who our team needed. I will never forget he and Sarah racing up the stairs of our hotel or the great wall!


He promised for our adoption trip he would come and meet us. We had hoped to hire him as our guide, but our agency already has guides in place. But he still wanted to come with us. And he has blessed us so much.

I still need to fill in our missing days and I will. So much to share. Friday morning early we left HK and headed to the orphanage. Steve met us there. Typical adoption trips you have a guide that does your official stuff and makes sure you are ok. The nice thing about having a friend who is is a guide by trade, is that he stays with you the entire time because he wants too. So we never have to think about food or crossing streets or communicating. He is always a step ahead of us. Of course the orphanage loves him, Mark and Malaine quickly fell in love with him and we are just so thankful for having him!



We came to Changsha on Sunday with him and so he was with us for Gotcha day and then all the official stuff yesterday. We have eaten so well, communicated with Syler, and just had so much fun because of him. We know he made it a better trip.


Early this morning he had to fly back home. He presented us last night with a gorgeous embroidered picture his mother made for us. With a verse about ships and friends like family and we were so deeply touched. Of course it could say, these crazy Americans are so weird, for all we know! :-) And even if it did, we still love it! 


He and I had a showdown last night over us wanting to help him with costs. Steve proved more stubborn than even I am, which you should know is impressive. He honestly wanted to join us because he is our friend. Who does stuff like that? (he lives very far from where we are now!)

So thankful that God has opened up so many doors for me here in this land that I love. He has given us true friendships that I will always treasure.



Some Steve funnies I don’t want to forget…

Me-Malaine is our easy child.
Steve-Yes I can tell she is easier than Makenna.  J


Mark-What has been your hardest group you have ever had?
Steve-Looks over at me.

Walking down the street Steve starts holding Malaine’s hand. We told him he is lucky that was not Makenna or she would have punched him.

Asked him if he had heard What does the fox say?
S-What Fox say?

We are really sad to see him go, but know that we will see him again! 



1 comment:

  1. It is so sweet how God connects us all the way around the world. Praying for yall. I hope Mercie is doing better. They are so precious and I am so happy for yall. Bubbling up with excitement to see our girl!!!!!!! Love how God connected us too. Much Love from Texas. If you ever need to talk or pray call me. OUr sweet Mia grieved very very bad. It broke my heart. She only wanted Joe in China. If I took her she would scream the whole time.

    ReplyDelete