Tuesday, April 1, 2014

It is official!


"Adoption is wonderful and beautiful and the greatest blessing I have ever experienced. Adoption is also difficult and painful. Adoption is a beautiful picture of redemption. It is the Gospel in my living room. And sometimes, it's just hard." (Kisses From Katie pg. 72)



Today we officially became the parents of Syler Blane GuoLang Laxton and Mercie Fei Evangelin Laxton. We promised to never abandon them, or abuse them and to love them forever.  We signed a million papers and we gave our thumbprints. Seems like such an informal process for such an amazing milestone. These children, they are OURS.

Let me backtrack. The kids slept GREAT. Mercie slept between us, Syler has a cot next to the bed. I on the other hand was like a kid the night before Christmas. My babies were HERE. I couldn’t stop staring at them, crying over them, being in awe that God did this! AND as many of you know, He did it on the day I BEGGED for. 3/31/14. One year before that we shared on FB we were adopting. I prayed for months that THAT would be our Gotcha day. I asked many of you to pray with us. And you did! And HE did!

Mercie woke up around 6AM. Took one look at us and started screaming. You know she was thinking, MAYBE this was all just a bad dream. But then she woke up and there we were. We had hoped maybe an overnight miracle might have taken place and a NEW Mercie would wake up.  But we knew that was probably NOT going to happen so we gave her a bottle, which calms her a bit. (and I am so happy I am getting her back on a bottle, now if I can get her to let ME give it to her instead of just herself!) Soon after Syler was awake. He went to bed with a smile and woke up with a smile. We went downstairs to breakfast, which is a huge buffet. A mix of Western and Chinese food.


My son can eat. And it makes me so sad. He CHOWS DOWN. He eats a ton and he eats fast. Knowing that he is eating so much to make up for what he missed or what he MIGHT miss, just breaks your heart.


During breakfast the director and assistant came in. They brought the children yesterday and then stay overnight to finish the paperwork today. They were trying to hide from Fei Fei,knowing she would probably want to go to them.

We headed back to the civil affairs office and there we signed the paperwork. I was happy Mercie actually sat on my lap for the car ride, baby steps! 

Syler's paperwork was first. We are asked if we are happy with our child and still want to adopt them. Then because Syler is over 7 he is asked if he wants us to be his family. He got the biggest smile on his face and said yes!



This boy has to be the bravest and sweetest soul I know. Of course I know that a child wants a family over an orphanage. But still how SCARY it has to be for him! He can’t understand a word we are saying and he is leaving behind EVERYTHING he knows! To go to a place where he won’t understand anything, won’t recognize the food AND to top it off will be forced to wear a seat belt in the car! How much trust it takes to BELIEVE us when we say, we will never leave you or abandon you.


He got to stamp his hand on the paper and that sealed it. Syler is ours!

Mercie was next. The director was worried we would change our mind because she was so upset! (this should tell you how loud Mercie was, to make them actually worry about this!!) J  Thankfully 2 year old’s don’t have to agree to the adoption because I can guarantee you she was NOT going to agree to that if given the choice!  We agreed that YES we want this baby girl, they stamped her foot on the paper and that was that! 



 Grieving is still going strong. It is BETTER and we see a tiny bit of progress here and there.  I am definitely her least favorite person in the world right now, but I am doing ok with that. I have had a few snuggles and I KNOW that this will pass.  The blessing is we have seen joy and giggles come from our baby girl before Gotcha Day. We know she was loved so well while she waited for us, and that is why she is struggling so much. She is scared to death! This child has seen a total of a few rooms in her entire lifetime, her world has been rocked!

As we finished up the paperwork I had a chance to talk to the director of the orphanage. Who has retired recently! (whole post needed on orphanage stuff!) I really love her and started bawling as soon as we started talking. She tries to tell me how I have blessed her, but it is SHE who has blessed me. I sometimes hear people talk about these orphanage directors in such negative ways. But I KNOW this one loves the children, and wants good for them. I am so thankful for her and what I have seen from her. No, it is not perfect. But I really do think she has a good heart. 


Want to share more about the day, but I am going to bed! Prayerfully we will ALL sleep tonight and I am praying day 3 is a new day for Mercie! 






No comments:

Post a Comment